Constructing a deck can be easy if you know how to do it. It’s the perfect place for outdoor entertaining at your home.
Deck Construction Guide
- Footing:Footings are a very important component of deck construction because they provide the solid foundation that will support your deck. The more footings your deck has to distribute the total load, the less weight each footing will need to carry.
- Ledger:Attaching a ledger board to the house rim is the most basic and best option of all the ledger board applications. Hold the flashing in place as you lift the ledger board into position. Use a 4” level to make sure you apply it perfectly straight.You should install two fasteners every 16” on center alternating top and bottom.
- Framing:The minimum size joist to be used in deck construction is not a stand-alone consideration, and is related to the number of footings and beams that will be installed.
- Decking:The layout term for joists is “On Center” which is the center to center measurement from one joist to the next. Most decks use 16″ on center spacing for joists. Decking must be able to support 40 lbs live load + 15 lbs dead load as it is supported between joists.
- Railings:Wood rails are composed of posts, rails, balusters and a top cap. Guard rail systems can be installed with glass, cable and vinyl material.
- Stairs:To build deck stairs and steps, measure the height of your deck and use our stair calculator to find what rise and run meet code.
- Porch: Use hand framed or engineeredbeams to build a screen porch. Install soil or stones and waterproof across the roof.
- Maintenance:Every deck requires maintenance and cleaning or power washing. Always paint or seal your wood deck to prevent sun and water damage.
Deck Construction Service, CT
If you are planning to construct a deck and want a deck construction company, then contact Prism House Painting Plus. They have been constructing decks in Connecticut’s Darien and Fairfield counties for many years.Call 203-653-8440 or email@example.com.